Two US service members helped foil a potential terror attack on a Paris-bound train

French officials say two American service members were among a group of people who helped stop a potential terror attack on a Paris-bound train.
It happened Friday as the Thalys high-speed train was traveling from Amsterdam.

Three men helped subdue the suspected gunman, a 26-year-old Moroccan national, who was apparently heard loading a weapon inside a restroom on the train.

The people who heard it were two US service members — Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone, according to CNN.

Airman First Class Spencer Stone ran toward the gunman and tackled him.

“I told him to go, and he went,” Oregon National Guard member Alek Skarlatos, who had been deployed in Afghanistan, told French television.

“Spencer ran a good 10 meters to get to the guy. And we didn’t know that his gun wasn’t working or anything like that,” he added.

The men jumped into action along with US student Anthony Sadler.

“The three of us beat up the guy,” Sadler told CNN. “In the process, Spencer gets slashed multiple times by a box cutter, and Alek takes the [gun] away.”

Stone was among those injured, but managed to tend to another injured passenger who was bleeding heavily from his wounds.

Sadler told the CNN that Stone put “pressure to the neck wound before [the passenger] bled out.” Stone was among the wounded who were taken to hospitals, but he is expected to recover.

The Pentagon confirmed to the Associated Press on Friday that “one US military member was injured in the incident. The injury is not life-threatening.”

The gunman was taken into custody by the local authorities. The attack was originally being treated as a criminal investigation but has since been handed off to the counterterror police force. The assailant had reportedly traveled to Syria.

France has remained on high alert since January when Islamist militants killed 17 people in and around Paris — including during attacks at the offices of the satirical paper Charlie Hebdo. That same month, hostages were taken inside a Jewish grocery store.

The following two tabs change content below.