Taking a Look Back at the Career of Carl Froch MBE

Trained by Robert McCracken, Carl Froch, four-time super-middleweight world champion, was voted 2012 Fighter of the Year by World Boxing News and BoxRec. The UK edition of GQ magazine voted him the Sportsman of the Year in 2013 and has been listed by the BBC as the best British pound for pound boxer.

Froch’s impressive professional career spanned fourteen years until he made the decision to retire in July 2015 at the age of 38, he stated “I have nothing left to prove and my legacy speaks for itself. I’m incredibly proud of what I have achieved in boxing but now is the right moment to hang up my gloves,”


On 6 December 2008, Froch fought Canadian Jean Pascal for the vacant WBC super-middleweight title the Cobra entered this fight after sustaining serious injuries picked up in sparring, in true Froch warrior style he won the fight with a unanimous decision after an epic 12-round battle.


The first defence of his WBC super-middleweight title, was fought against Jermain Taylor in at the Foxwoods Resort in Foxwoods, Connecticut, On 25 April 2009, Froch survived a third-round knockdown, the first of his entire career, amateur and professional, behind on two of the three judges’ cards coming into the final round, he managed to stop his opponent with 14 seconds remaining in the 12th round to retain his WBC super-middleweight title.

Froch agreed to take part in the Super Six World Boxing Classic super middleweight tournament, On 13 July 2009, with the winner of the tournament winning the WBC and WBA world super middleweight titles. The tournament featured 6 boxers including Andre Dirrell, Mikkel Kessler, Arthur Abraham, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward and Carl Froch.

His first opponent in the Super Six was Andre Dirrell, the bout took place in Nottingham on 17 October and Froch’s WBC title was on the line. Froch won the fight and retained his title with a split decision victory over the previously undefeated Andre Dirrell. Two of the judges scored the bout 115–112 in favour of Froch, with the other scoring the bout 114–113 in favour of Dirrell.

Froch’s next fight was against Mikkel Kessler, who lost the WBA super middleweight title to Andre Ward. Froch’s WBC title was again on the line. In a closely fought contest in Kessler’s home country of Denmark where both men had great moments throughout the fight, Kessler took Froch’s title and gave Froch his first professional defeat via unanimous decision, the fight was a contender for the 2010 Fight of the Year.


Froch regained the WBC super-middleweight title by gaining a unanimous points victory over Arthur Abraham in Helsinki. (An eye injury forced Mikkel Kessler to relinquish his WBC title and resign from the tournament; Froch-Abraham was for the vacant WBC super-middleweight title) Froch won the fight against Abraham in a one sided bout.

Froch entered the semi-final stage of the tournament, on 4 June 2011 in Atlantic City, New Jersey retaining his title with a majority decision victory over Glen Johnson

Carl Froch lost in the final of the Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament in a dramatic and competitive bout against WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward. The vacant The Ring super middleweight title would be on the line in the fight, as well as Froch and Ward’s super middleweight titles.


The IBF officially enforced Carl Froch as Lucian Bute’s number one mandatory challenger. The fight, billed as “No Easy Way Out”, took place on 26 May 2012 in Froch’s hometown of Nottingham. Despite being the underdog with bookmakers, critics and fans around the world, Froch dominated Bute throughout the fight to become the new IBF super middleweight champion via TKO in round five, making Froch a three-time world champion.

After the Bute fight and acquiring IBF belt, Froch stayed in Nottingham for an easy nights work defeating Yusaf Mack via third round knockout.

On 25 May 2013, fans poured in to the O2 Arena to watch Froch avenge his 2010 loss Mikkel Kessler winning a unanimous points decision in a tough hard to call fight

The IBF installed George Groves as Froch’s mandatory challenger, their bout taking place on Saturday 23 November at the Phones4u Arena in Manchester.  Froch defended his IBF and WBA titles with a TKO victory in Round 9, despite being floored by a right from Groves in the First. There was some controversy as many felt that referee Howard Foster stepped in to end the contest prematurely. The three scoring judges had scored Groves ahead of Froch before Groves was shaken by some powerful blows in the 9th. The controversial ending prompted a widespread demand for a rematch to be fought between the two.

On 24 January 2014, the IBF ordered a rematch between Froch and Groves, giving Froch 90 days to fight Groves or relinquish his IBF title.

Carl Froch & George Groves

Eddie Hearn announced that Froch v Groves II would take place on 31 May 2014 at Wembley Stadium in London, England. Froch was quoted saying that the fight was what the ‘British public want to see’ and that was his reason for giving George Groves a rematch while defending his IBF and WBA Super Middleweight titles. 60,000 tickets were sold in under an hour and a further 20,000 tickets were made available, making this the biggest ever attendance for a boxing match in Britain since the Second World War.


The fighters were significantly more cautious, Groves came out fighting in the 8th round before Froch pinned him against the ropes and delivered a stunning, sensational right hand which knocked Groves clean out. The referee, Charlie Fitch, instantly called the fight, sensing Groves was clearly in no fit state to continue. BBC boxing commentator Mike Costello referred to it as “The best punch you will ever see in a British boxing ring”.

The Cobra took over a year deliberating his boxing career, with many big people named as potential opponents, before finally deciding to hang up his gloves for good. Froch won’t be leaving boxing completely he will now join Adam Smith, Johnny Nelson and other expert analysts as part of Sky Sports’ unrivalled boxing coverage.