Sierra Leone News:“We barely survived 21 days quarantine” Survivors lament

Survivors of the prevailing quarantine measure instituted to minimize if not contain the spread of Ebola Virus Disease have expressed bitter frustration regarding the seeming ordeal they went through for the twenty-one days period.
Residents of 13B Wharf Road Portee, in the East end of Freetown; a house that has just completed twenty-one days quarantine four days ago, could boldly express what appeared to them as “surprise” when they were issued a quarantine order without adequate provision of basic necessities of life.
The landlord; Mohamed T. Kamara, explained that following the death of his mother-in-law, Sina Kamara about a month ago, and with result showing that she had died from Ebola, he said that it was deemed as prudent by all residents to undergo a 21-day quarantine in a bid to ascertain their health status especially with regards the Ebola disease.
Immediately after the result, he said, officials from the Ebola Response Centre barged in their premise to red-tape the periphery of the house. But the supply of basic food items and other needed materials for human existence did not correspond with the quarantine order. They as inmates were left at their mercies to provide those items that they were badly in need of. Items such as water, charcoal, vital food ingredients and other assorted items were absolutely lacking throughout the 21-days stay home. And since they were under restriction-guarded by security personnel, efforts to get such needed items proved futile.
The Landlord further testified that while they were struggling through the 21 days incubation period, fourteen days on, they had the second case; his wife, Emma Kamara. He explained in anguish that immediately they realised she was ill, they rushed to call the 117 toll-free line. Sadly though, they kept calling for five days without no member of the Ebola team coming to collect his wife. Eventually, he said, to prevent a possible spread if it were Ebola, security personnel that were deployed at the house took the high-risk of conveying her to the hospital. She died few days later.
A tenant, Abdul Kamara also echoed on the note of despair. He explained that not only had they been abandoned in terms of provision of food and other needed items, health personnel that are normally touted of checking on quarantined inmates to sound their health status, never visited them. “We barely survived the 21 days quarantined” he lamented.
He narrated that following the expiration of the allotted 21 days, officials from the Response team who came to release them assured of given them certificates to ascertain the fact that they were now free from Ebola. And that such certificate would guarantee their re-acceptance in their respective work places and in the communities. However, since their return, he said, they have not heard from them.
Certainly, the situation at 13B Wharf Road just epitomizes what is clearly happening in most other quarantined homes, most of which occur in isolation right through the country.

The following two tabs change content below.
Dan Mullin is an active writer and editor for the Pluto Daily who covered the 2014 Ebola Outbreak. Mullin attended the Wake Forest School of Medicine before leaving to pursue his lifelong science goal of allowing humans to live forever via a computer/brain transfer.