If Alex Rodriguez doesn’t seek settlement with MLB, Bud Selig is expected to pursue lifetime suspension

rodriguez-rehab-baseball

Armed with voluminous evidence they believe would warrant lifetime banishment, Major League Baseball officials hope to know by Monday if Alex Rodriguez will agree to a deal that would effectively end the Yankee third baseman’s career but possibly preserve a big portion of the remaining $100 million on his contract.
If Rodriguez and his representatives reject a deal, the embattled superstar’s suspension could be announced as early as late Monday or Tuesday. A source close to Rodriguez said the player was sticking to his story that he has done nothing wrong and was unwilling to cut a deal.

“If there is a suspension,” the source said, “he will fight it.”
According to a source familiar with the discussions between MLB officials and A-Rod’s representatives, if Rodriguez accepted a settlement that would call for him to be suspended for the rest of this year and the entire 2014 season without pay, he would still have a chance to collect the $60 million the Yankees would owe him from 2015 to 2017.

The deal would allow MLB to impose the suspension immediately and avoid arbitration. If Rodriguez declines the deal, commissioner Bud Selig is expected to pursue what would be a historic suspension that would ban the 38-year-old Rodriguez from ever returning to the field.
The Daily News reported earlier this month that A-Rod and his representatives have had internal discussions about cutting a deal with MLB. Rodriguez’s representatives have also talked to the Players’ Association about cutting a deal.
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig is poised to pursue a ban that would keep Alex Rodriguez out of baseball for the rest of his life.

The looming suspension could come just days after Rodriguez’s legal and public relations strategy blew up in embarrassing fashion. A-Rod’s handlers, hoping to prove that the Yankees want to keep Rodriguez from returning to the team, asked New Jersey physician Michael Gross to review an MRI of the quad injury the team says is keeping the aging infielder off the field.
Gross, the chief of sports medicine and the orthopedic director at Hackensack University Medical Center, said in multiple interviews that he did not see any indication of injury on the MRI. Gross, however, had been reprimanded in February by the New Jersey Attorney General for “failing to adequately supervise proper patient treatment involving the prescription of hormones including steroids.” New Jersey officials said Gross had allowed an unlicensed associate to participate in the care and treatment of patients.

The following two tabs change content below.